Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Come with me!

Wanna come with me? I'm ready for my next jaunt!

There are things that stuck on your mind for no particular reason. This is one. Long, long ago I was having a massage. My back was really hurting, so I asked for a strong man to push hard into my muscles. The Universe heard me.....he had hands so big that almost scared me.

As usual, despite the massage requires to be relaxed, I wanted to know who he was, where he came from, just about everything he was willing to tell me. Not only he spent time in Sicily at the NATO base but he had just left a job as a rancher's hand -BIG hand- in Cuba. The one in New Mexico, where no "Buena Vista Social Club" is around! But Cuba has a great history that I will tell you once there. Of course Native Americans have been there for hundreds of years. That's always a good thing.

I regularly stop in Cuba (population 1,000!)  for lunch at a great local diner with the coolest sign, before heading to Chaco Canyon but never thought that this town, or its surroundings, offered so much.

This is a typical mistake travelers often make (me included, alas!): go from A to B without thinking about what's in between. What a waste. One is not likely to go back anytime soon.


Yes, that's where I want to go, Cuba, New Mexico. I may stay at a ranch or at a charming B&B, I may hike-slowly, very slowly..., in the Santa Fe National Forest for some green, definitely go to El Cabezon, the strangely rounded volcanic mountain, and the Ojito Wilderness, the newest area designated as a wilderness in New Mexico. Why go to Arizona or Utah, I wonder, when we have such amazing places right here in New Mexico? And mostly empty!


El Cabezon, isn't its shape amazing?

Yes, this is in Ojito Wilderness!
And this!

                   
This too!











I will leave exploring the Jemez Springs area for another adventure, too much to see there.

I promise we'll have a sunset like this one!

I have some time free from work in the middle of June. 


I'm going! What about you? 


No comments:

Post a Comment