Sunday, August 19, 2012

My Indian Market

I had to go one more time to the market. I forgot to see some friends and artists I love. But before I went to El Museo Cultural and the show was really exciting. On top of all the precious pieces from around the world, Folk Art and my beloved Memory Pots, there was an exhibition of Tad Dale's collection of shields, amazing!
Tad Dale's private shields collection

Despite the heat I ran through the booths on the Plaza, with each booth number written on my palm, and met with Mary L.Tafoya. This was a special "memory lane" thing: I bought her first piece, a pin, some ten years ago when she had her first market experience! She is a lovely woman from Kewa Pueblo (ex Santo Domingo) and an incredible innovator. No one does what she does, a unique style. Kind of inspired to the old mosaic designs of the Ancestral Puebloans and to the "depression" necklaces, but with a contemporary twist.

Mary L.Tafoya














On the music stand there were phenomenal Hopi and Acoma dancers and musicians with marvelous costumes, dancing beautifully. Other dancers were coming to the stand for the next dance and, despite the crowd, I was able to capture some images.


























Dancers from Hopi




Dancers from Acoma






 













Street scenes
I also met for the first time a very talented fashion designer, Penny Singer, who was half asleet in the back of her booth, dead tired! I bet! How can they talk to all the people who stop by, ask questions, and want to know about their art? It's exhausting!

Flowers with pots in the background
This wonderful birth day ended on my little terrace on the roof of my casita sipping tea and savoring fresh muffins my friend Marina had just got out of her oven! With us were some emerald green hummingbird happily getting some more food before the night. The source are some flowers I especially planted for them, they are wonderful creatures!

There he is!

The End

PS. My favorite artist, Raymond Sequaptewa, had some pendants to die for, what do you think?


1 comment: