Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Laura

Laura welcoming me home, in the rental
The beginning of our adventure in New Mexico. It was the first time for Laura and for me the first time I rented a tiny casita because the friends I usually stayed with couldn't have me.   
 
The casita consisted of  1 room plus the WC. The bed was less than a Queen. When Laura called me in Milano to ask me if she could come with me, I panicked for a second thinking where on earth I could possibly fit her in. I said yes. She arrived before me and I found her fast asleep in "my" bed.
After a couple of days wandering through town and showing her around, my then boss called and told me I had to take the first flight to Mexico City for an international presentation. When I stubbornly said no and that I only had a pair of jeans with me, he said I had an open budget to buy whatever I needed to be presentable.
Laura chose my clothes and shoes. I left her with a few instructions about where to go, left her the car keys and flew to my destination where also the Pope was landing, same time, same day. A mess!
Sooo....hours later I arrived where my colleagues were rehearsing. I had not a clue of where I was at that point! But this is not the story.
 
Back in Santa Fe we went all over the places, typical and non tourist destinations, friends' homes, dirt roads. and standing in front of this casita where I now live, one day of August 2002, we decided to buy it without having said a word before!
Laura, left, with realtor, waiting to go inside.
In the meantime a thirds crazy Italian girl joined  the gang, Rosie Comensoli. She came to show her tribal art at the Ethnographic Show! We all had a ball! Rosie has travelled through Asia, particularly Afghanistan and India, alone and not for years!
Rosie and Laura on the only bed we shared that first summer together
 
For a few years the three of us had the best pajama parties on earth. We were in our casita, the cats joined in, the best one could wish in life.
 
Over the years Laura and I drove in all directions, all around the Southwest. We had a ball! Thelma and Louise with no jumping off the cliff!
 
The tour company that I still have, Seven Directions|Cultural and Sustainable Tours, began with Laura's help. She wrote most of the texts for the website. Often I had to laugh because she was a reporter for women's magazines and her style was not exactly business jargon. But then I thought that as a matter of fact we indeed were different. So be it!
 
In Milan it was Laura opening her home to me and all the friends I wanted to see. Then, every night we were up until we couldn't talk anymore. How could we always have so much to say???? A lot for sure was about politics!! We wanted to change the world, you know?
 
I don't remember when Laura and I met. But for many years we saw each other off and on. Those were the years where she had a baby and worked as a journalist. I was a business woman, somewhat, divorcing, having miscarriages, and finding my way through life.
 
Later, when both of us had a bunch of proving experiences, we became close again. I remember that one winter evening I was standing near the phone, when it rang: Laura didn't want to stay home alone for Christmas. Who would? I invited her to join me&company on our trip to India, the Southern part. Off we went to Mumbai and made our way through to beautiful Kerala. Where are those photos?
On that trip she led the way every evening to a nice place in the hotel we stayed at to have a gin and tonic!
 
Next year was Burma, amazing surprise.
 
What happened next? I think that we were both going through some life hiccups so we were laughing and crying. And of course talking a LOT.
She then became a grandmother and started following the babies around Central and South America.
 
We saw each other in Milan. We had much more to talk about, although we used to talk on Skype a lot, because we didn't have a whole summer to share anymore. She always showed me the newest places in Milan, museums, restaurants, small shops, bookstores.
 
I had a lot of envy for her beautiful legs. Long, just great. They were perfect for trousers of any kind. It hurt, I always wanted the same....The other drawback, was that she was walking at an incredible fast speed...me following, stumbling, puffing. Hating her.
 
Her last outing, a month ago
 
 
Here I stop. I have cried enough. I miss her terribly. I spoke to many of her friends these days, friends I never met before. We are now united through her
 
I still have her coffee cups, a fun clock, the clothes she left here, a book I bought for her and she never read, dishes we bought together in Taos for our new casita, her nightgown, other stuff.
 
She is all around me. She is here. Hello Laura, I'll see you soon!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment