Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Be in the Southwest on June 5 for the Transit of Venus across the Sun’s Face.

If you don’t want to wait until 2117, make a promise to yourself, I did! We have an appointment with Venus! Here in the Southwest we are in a great spot to observe the transit.

On June 5-6 our brightest planet will be visible as a small, dark dot moving in front of the solar disk. This rare alignment occurs when Venus passes directly between the sun and earth.

  • If you live in the Americas you can see this in the late afternoon of June 5th.
  • If you live in Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia or New Zealand wait until the early morning of June 6.

You have about seven hours, don’t miss it. We may not be here in 105 years!

Find out when it’s visible near you at http://www.transitofvenus.org/june2012/where-to-be

Did you know? Women share with Venus the same symbol!

I’m not at all involved in astronomical studies and I know very little about it. However, since I moved to the Southwest I can’t forget about the sky, as I did when living in big cities. It’s now part of my days and nights because it’s an important presence in my everyday life.

And since I got you involved with the sun, consider a visit to the National Solar Observatory- http://www.nso.edu , that not surprisingly is located in Sunspot, New Mexico, to find out about the relationship between the sun and the third rock from this nearest star, Planet Earth, only some 93 million miles away.

No comments:

Post a Comment