Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Indians! Find out about the Real People

Puye pueblo on the mesa top
Puye village on top of the mesa
Before the last snow storm that covered the land with a spring white coat I went with a client and his young daughter to an archaeological site not far from Santa Fe: Puye Cliffs.

The drive itself is worth the trip thanks to the majestic sacred Black Mesa and the magnificent ranges of mountains and tuff walls once home of the ancestors of today’s Santa Clara people. It is not difficult to be captivated by the history of the ancient pueblo emphasized by the dwellings and petroglyphs along the rock walls.

But what I really enjoy is for people to get it all. For those coming from other countries or regions of the US this is not easy. They frequently ask “to see the Indians” without any idea of their past and present life. It’s clearly just a nebulous concept.

I asked our enthusiastic and knowledgeable guide, Michelle, if she could also take us to her pueblo. As she pointed out, Santa Clara is not the most beautiful of the 19 pueblos of New Mexico but has an interesting past, important acclaimed potters, and a modern life that balances the old traditions with the 21st century.

When I saw how engaged my client's young daughter was and how many questions she asked I knew that this visit helped me accomplish my mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment